Saturday, October 11, 2014

Review: The Happiness Project

This book by Gretchen Rubin is a chatty little book, part autobiography and part how-to.  It starts with the author asking herself questions about happiness, and then setting out to find answers.  After reading lots of books on the subject, she narrows her search to a handful of resolutions and tries them out, one at a time, to see if they actually work.  The Project chronicles a year in the author's life.

The January resolution, "Boost Energy," contains the ever-useful advice to get more sleep.  Works for me.  Other chapters offer other practical suggestions:  Do things you love to do, learn new stuff, and hang out with your friends more often.  Sounds facile, I know, but are you doing these things?

I must confess, though, that the chapter for March, "Aim Higher," had me a bit puzzled because it had nothing at all to do with jumping onto the top of the china cabinet.

Spoiler alert:  There is no magic formula that will make everyone happy all the time, but there are a lot of recipe ideas  that will help you mix up your own formula.  Personally, I think my own Happiness Project could do with more catnip.

No comments: